The subcompact car segment in the United States saw a decline of 6% in sales in 2019, as it now holds just 2% of the overall car market and 7.3% of the overall market for sedans. The class leader Kia Soul consolidates its position as it moves with the segment at -6% while its closest rival Nissan Versa is down by double that at -12% as it’s preparing for a new model generation. The Ford Fiesta, in its last full year on the North American market, shows a 16% gain as dealers are discounting to move them off their lots.
The Honda Fit is stable for the year, but it had a slow period from September 2018 to February 2019 and as a result the Fit was down in the first two quarters of 2019 but regained those lost sales in the last two quarters. A new generation Fit has already been revealed in Japan, but there’s been no confirmation yet on whether this one will make its Stateside. The Hyundai Accent lost 12% of its sales on what was already its lowest sales since its launch in 1995 as a replacement to the Excel. That allows its sibling Kia Rio to close in for 6th place thanks to a 9% gain, which means the Rio also leapfrogs the Toyota Yaris, regardless of whether we combine sales of the Yaris sedan and hatchback or not. The Yaris sedan is down 21% and the renewed hatchback is up 12%. The Chevrolet Sonic loses nearly a third of its sales and has its slowest sales year since it was launched in 2011.
Get all of the latest sales figures right to your inbox!
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.